UroLift®: prostatic urethral lift
Posted on 24th October, 2016
TIER 1 APPROVED
UroLift® is a proven minimally invasive day-case treatment for men with an enlarged prostate, BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia), secondary to LUTS (lower urinary tract symptoms).
Men with BPH, a benign condition where the enlarged prostate presses on or blocks the urethra causing urinary issues, or LUTS, can benefit from UroLift®: 30 minute procedure under local anaesthetic involving adjustable, permanent implants holding excess prostatic tissue away from narrowing or blocking the urethra.
Patients return home after a few hours without a catheter, and rapidily return to daily living. Unlike current surgical options, UroLift® does not cause tissue injury and avoids complications associated with TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) or laser.
Recommended by NICE (MTG26) as a cost effective alternative to TURP or laser:
- Improved bed capacity – no overnight stay (three bed day average for TURP)
- Improved theatre capacity - 30-minute day-case procedure (80 minutes under a general anaesthetic with TURP)
- Reduced outpatient follow-up
- No catheterisation – reduced risk of CAUTI
- Easy rapidly deployable technology UroLift® does not rely on capital purchase, infrastructure or staff changes
UroLift® is part of NHS England's new Innovation and Technology Tariff, further details are also available on AHSN_Atlas_of_ Solutions_in_Healthcare