Low Carb Program
The Low Carb Program is a structured education and behaviour change platform for people with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes providing the education, resources, and behaviour change support required when reducing the amount of sugar in the diet. Peer-reviewed, published outcomes demonstrate patients with type 2 diabetes reduce their HbA1c by 13mmol/mol, 40% eliminate a medication and 26% of patients are in type 2 remission at 1-year.
The program was selected by the NHS Innovation Accelerator for accelerated adoption of the high-impact innovation within primary care. It was developed with Dr David Unwin and 20,000 people with diabetes.
The Low Carb Program engages participants in a 12-week structured therapeutic nutrition and wellness education program which is personalised to disease for people with type 2 diabetes, prediabetes, and obesity.
Participants receive tailored education on modifiable risk factors including nutrition, sleep, stress, mental health, smoking cessation and blood glucose testing. The platform is available on iOS, Android, Apple and Android watch, web, and Alexa with over 412,000 users.
The platform comprises:
· Education: a core 12-week structured therapeutic nutrition and wellness program, personalised to disease type and profile. Past 12 weeks, members participate in new, monthly education modules.
· Community peer support with over 412,000 members
· Behaviour change mentoring and goal identification
· Library of personalised resources, including culturally-specific meal plans and over 1,000 recipe ideas
· Curated information and educational content updated daily
· Data insights and AI-led feedback to support sustainable behaviour change
The program augments standard care by providing demonstrated long-term behaviour change. The platform’s peer-reviewed, published outcomes demonstrate pioneering outcomes and unrivalled long-term sustainability: 26% of patients with type 2 diabetes achieve remission; 40% of patients eliminate at least 1 medication; 60% of patients starting on insulin eliminate or reduce it, and there is an unrivalled 71% retention at 1-year.
The Low Carb Program is an MHRA regulated Class I Medical Device, QISMET approved for delivery as structured education to people with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes, and selected by the NHS Innovation Accelerator for accelerated adoption within primary care.