OurPath: Digital Lifestyle Change To Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
We now go online manage our lives, changing the way we shop, bank, watch TV and communicate. The way we are interacting with healthcare is evolving online too.
This means we can now support people with long-term conditions to manage their condition in a format that suits and fits around their lifestyles.
OurPath is a three-month online programme to help you build healthier habits and reduce your risk of Type 2 diabetes. We provide health-tracking technology, personalised health coaching from a dietician and evidence-based structured education.
OurPath provides a digital behavioural change programme that delivers:
- Evidence-based structured education on nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress management, and positive psychology
- Peer group support
- Personalised private mentorship
- Tracking technology (smart weighing scales and a wearable activity tracker)
Our primary behavioural change programme lasts for three months and is delivered digitally through users’ smartphones and computers/laptops. This duration is specified to maximise engagement and sustainability.
OurPath studies have demonstrated:
- Average sustained weight loss of 8.2% of total body weight.
- An average 14% increase in wellbeing before and after the programme. This was measured across 16 different wellbeing metrics, including happiness, level of depression, energy levels, stress levels, and mental well-being.
- Improvements in physical activity (22% average increase in steps) and food confidence.
- In participants aged 60 years and above, OurPath saw an average weight loss of 6.3kg per person, a 29% increase in well-being and a 27% increase in activity.
- Uptake of over 70% from GP referral and a 3-month programme completion rate of over 80%.
- Preliminary results from our trial in patients living with type 2 diabetes in our North-West London trial haved showed >7% weight loss, 71% referral to uptake and 20% having weight loss >10kg and coming off at least 1 medication.
- OurPath is currently live in 15 CCGs across the UK.
- The approach has been designed and validated by expert clinicians, dieticians, and behavioural scientists. It is appropriate across age groups, genders and ethnic backgrounds.